Lent and Easter
Lent is a holy season for Christians, which begins on Ash Wednesday (2 March this year) and ends on Easter Sunday (17 April). Christians have traditionally observed a period of fasting and penitence during Lent since at least the 4th Century. The 40 weekdays of Lent (Sundays are not included) reminded believers of the 40 days Jesus spent in the wilderness. Christians engage in many different activities at this time. Many find it a useful time to pray or study their Bibles more, increase their giving, or to take up another discipline.
Lent Bible Study
We are looking at parts of St John's gospel following the study guide 'Magnificent Jesus" by Wendy Virgo. The meetings are on Thursdays 10th, 17th and 31st of March and 7th April at 11am by zoom. If you have not joined the zoom bible study before, please contact the office on 020 8487 8285 or email Rev'd Claudia Lupi here for the joining details. Anyone is welcome to attend and will be warmly welcomed.
Services over Holy Week
This is the final week of Lent (10-17 April), traditionally called 'Holy Week',
- Palm Sunday, 10 April, 10:30 am - Morning worship with distribution of palm crosses led by Rev'd Geoffrey Farrar, minister at Putney Methodist Church.
- Maundy Thursday, 14 April: 7:00 pm - We join with Richmond United Church at their church on Raleigh Road (click here for a map) for a service of the Washing of the Feet.
- Good Friday, 15th April, morning: 10:15am - Reflective Service led by Rev'd Claudia Lupi before joining the Churches Together in Barnes (CTiB) Walk of Witness. The walk starts in Castelnau outside Starbucks, visits St Mary’s churchyard and finishes on Barnes Green near the Day Centre. There are readings, prayers and singing at each stop. All are welcome to then continue onto Barnes Methodist Church for coffee and hot cross buns in the church hall.
- Good Friday, 15th April, evening: 6.30pm - We join Putney Methodist Church on Gwendolen Avenue (click here for a map) for Love Abounds, a new Passion Play written in the Mystery Plays tradition with music, poetry and drama. The play has been specially commissioned for the occasion and performed members of local churches.
- Easter Sunday, 17th April, 9am - A short service of Holy Communion led by Rev'd Claudia Lupi, followed by a light breakfast. We then have our Easter Morning worship at 10.30am, including the dressing of the cross, led by our worship leaders. You are welcome to bring flowers to dress the cross.
We do hope that you will be able to join us during this holy season.
Photograph credit: William H Sadlier